This is a quick lunch I threw together from what I could find in my fridge and pantry today. I wanted something to go with the leftover grilled steak and chicken I brought home from a family barbecue the other night and this delicious brown rice salad really fit the bill.
The salad works well as either a side dish or a light vegetarian main course for lunch. Top with thinly sliced grilled chicken, steak, or tempeh and you have a hearty and delicious summer meal. Feel free to play with ingredient amounts to suit your own taste. I think it would be great topped with some sliced avocado and roasted pepitas.
Brown Rice Salad with Cumin and Lime Vinaigrette
1 small clove garlic, peeled and smashed
generous pinch of kosher salt
zest and juice of one lime (about 2 tablespoons of juice)
1 teaspoon ground cumin*
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 T. chopped green chiles (I used canned)
1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Put garlic clove and salt in a small bowl and mash them together with a fork to form a paste. Add lime juice, zest, and cumin. Whisk lime juice mixture together then slowly whisk in the olive oil. Taste, adjust salt as needed; set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine brown rice, garbanzo beans, chopped green chiles, tomatoes, and cilantro. Add dressing and toss gently to combine. Can be served immediately. If made ahead and refrigerated, allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe notes: *Cumin is much more flavorful if you start with whole seeds, toast them, then grind them yourself. I toasted one teaspoon of whole cumin seeds in a dry skillet just until fragrant then ground them into a powder using a clean coffee grinder. If I would have had some on hand, I would have tossed a handful of roasted pepitas into the salad.
- How to Cook Perfect Brown Rice
- Cilantro Caesar Salad with Carne Asada
- Herbed Tuna Salad with Feta and Pine Nuts
- Orange Cranberry Salad with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
- Rice Pilaf with Raisins and Pine Nuts
- Whole Wheat Green Orzo Salad
Around the Web:
- Wild Rice Salad from Simply Recipes
- Broccoli Rice Salad with Sesame-Ginger Dressing from Fatfree Vegan Kitchen
- Fresh Asparagus Rice Salad from Eating Out Loud
- Brown Rice Salad with Turkey, Red Cabbage and Pecans from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Chicken and Wild Rice Salad from Culinary in the Country