These easy, crispy, and delicious homemade potato taquitos are a cinch to make with leftover mashed potatoes, corn tortillas, and a little bit of cheese.
When I realized that we are celebrating potatoes this week for Summer Fest, I wasn’t sure where to even begin. Potatoes are so versatile that when I was trying to think of a recipe to write about, I just couldn’t narrow it down.
So when my good friend Ruby mentioned on Facebook that she was planning on frying up some Taquitos de Papa for dinner yesterday, I though it perfectly natural to invite myself over for some potato taquitos to celebrate Summer Fest Potato Week.
For many people, potatoes mean comfort food. For me, it’s my mom’s Potato Leek Soup and my grandmother’s Mashed Potato Casserole with cream cheese and sour cream.
These taquitos stuffed with leftover mashed potatoes and cheese are comfort food for Ruby because her grandmother used to make them for her when she was young.
They were absolutely delicious—crisp on the outside, soft and creamy inside. I’m glad I invited myself over for dinner because now I can add Taquitos de Papa to my list of comfort foods as well.
So tell me, do any of your favorite comfort foods involve potatoes? What are they? Do you have a favorite way to use up leftover mashed potatoes?
In Sicily, we ate tons of crocchette di patate, or potato croquettes – basically just mashed potatoes seasoned with salt and a touch of nutmeg that were formed into little balls or logs, rolled in breadcrumbs, and deep fried. So delicious! I keep meaning to try making them at home, but I never seem to have any leftover mashed potatoes.
Here’s another way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
More Potato Recipes:
- Aloo Paratha (flatbread stuffed with potatoes)
- Carrot Potato Cheese Soup with Corn
- Potato Leek Soup
- Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese and Sour Cream
Other Potato Recipes for Summer Fest:
- Alison at Food2: Boil ‘Em, Mash ‘Em, Stick ‘Em in a Stew
- Kirsten at FN Dish: Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Sara at Cooking Channel: Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes
- Healthy Eats: A Day of Potatoes: Spuds for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Marilyn at Simmer Till Done: Baked potatoes and vintage “junior” cookbooks
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Hatch Chile Potato Salad
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Indian Spiced Potatoes with Chickpeas (Aloo Chole)
- Paige at The Sister Project: French Fries to soothe a burnt-out cook’s soul
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Potato Growing, Curing and Storage Tips
- Alana at Eating From the Ground Up: The strange experience of growing potatoes
- Cate at Sweetnicks: Bleu Cheese Potato Mashers
- Food Network UK: We like spuds
- The Gilded Fork: Roundup of favorite potato recipes