These hearty, flavorful, and nutritious whole wheat sour cream apple muffins will help power you through a busy morning. They are bursting with apples, walnuts, raisins, and flavor!
Don’t get me wrong, I am definitely a fan of cake-like muffins, but I think they generally make a better dessert than breakfast. Made with whole wheat flour and heart-healthy oat bran, these muffins offer a bit more staying power than something you might pick up at a cafe on your way to work.
I made these using King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, which I have found is great for quick breads. But traditional whole wheat flour will work fine, and if you can find it, whole wheat pastry flour would be even better. As always, you may substitute all-purpose flour for any portion of the whole wheat, although you’ll lose some of the nutritional value.
One of my favorite muffin tips is to use a mechanical ice cream scoop for portioning out the muffin batter, it’s quick, easy, and reduces the chance of dropping globs of batter all over the muffin tin and counter (although I still usually manage to do that).
I think these muffins make a great breakfast-on-the-go, but I also enjoy them as an afternoon snack. They freeze well, and will defrost quickly at room temperature. I hope you enjoy them!
- Easy Apple Galette Recipe
- Apple Carrot Salad with Cilantro and Feta Cheese
- Warm Red Cabbage Slaw with Apple and Caraway
- Caramel Apple Pear Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Cake
Around the Web:
- Whole Wheat Apple Muffins from Smitten Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Apple Pear Muffins from Karina’s Kitchen
- Maple-Drizzled Apple Muffins from Recipe Girl
- Apple Cinnamon Crunch Muffins from Andrea’s Recipes
- Apple Muffins from Cooking for Seven