This easy, delicious, and moist apple cake recipe made with fresh apples may be my new favorite fall dessert. It is tender, packed with tart apples and cinnamon, and very very easy to prepare. What’s not to love?
On a whim, I decided to update my popular Blueberry-Strawberry Buttermilk Cake with fall flavors by swapping in apples, cinnamon and extra vanilla for the blueberries and strawberries. But the result of the experiment was so much better than the original, I’m not sure if I’ll ever make the other version of this cake again. It’s that good.
Although the cake is excellent on its own, you could dress it up by drizzling slices with a salted caramel sauce and serving with dollops of freshly whipped cream. At the moment, I can’t think of anything more appealing than that.
I really hope you give this cake a try, but if not, you should drop by my house. I have a feeling fresh apple cake recipe is going to be a weekly standard for the next couple of months!
- Easy Apple Galette Recipe
- Apple Carrot Salad with Cilantro and Feta Cheese
- Warm Red Cabbage Slaw with Apple and Caraway
- Whole Wheat Sour Cream Apple Muffins
- Caramel Apple Pear Cake
Around the Web:
- Mom’s Apple Cake from Smitten Kitchen
- Cinnamon Apple Pecan Crumb Bars from What We’re Eating
- Gluten-Free Sour Cream Apple Cake from Karina’s Kitchen
- Apple Coffee Cake from Simply Recipes
- Whole Wheat Apple Pear Cake from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apple (I used granny smith)
- heaping tablespoon of raw sugar (demerara, turbinado, or Sugar in the Raw)
- extra cinnamon for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan* (or spray with Baker’s Joy or equivalent).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about two minutes. Add vanilla and egg and beat well. With the mixer set to low speed, beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Add half the buttermilk and continue beating on low speed until incorporated. Scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, beat in another 1/3 of flour mixture then remaining buttermilk. Finally beat in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture until just combined.
- Scrape batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. Scatter apple pieces evenly over the top of the cake batter then sprinkle evenly with raw sugar. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for ten minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool until warm. Invert onto a plate. Serve plain, or with whipped cream and salted caramel sauce.
*You may use a 9-inch cake pan, if you don't have an 8-inch one. The cake will be a bit thinner than it appears in my photos and will bake slightly faster.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 215mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 20g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g