This rich and delicious ham and asparagus quiche is crustless, making it a perfect low carb lunch or dinner option. The addition of leeks and Gruyere cheese add tons of flavor and these ingredients can be changed up according to season.
Thanks to the National Pork Board, I have ham leftovers before Easter this year! I was given a free ham for myself and the opportunity to give away a ham to one of you – just in time for Easter.
While there are a million ways to use leftover ham, I think one of the best is to bake it up in an easy crustless quiche. I decided to brighten up my usual ham and cheese quiche with some tender green asparagus. I know that ham and asparagus are a classic combination, but this was my first time making a ham and asparagus quiche.
I’m so glad I did!
The ham and asparagus quiche is very easy to make. First I sautéed some leeks and the chopped asparagus until tender.
Then I stirred in some cubed ham, just to blend all the flavors.
Next, I scraped the ham and asparagus mixture into my buttered quiche dish.
I sprinkled a generous amount of shredded Gruyere cheese over the ham and asparagus.
And finally, I poured a rich custard of eggs and heavy cream over the filling.
The quiche went into a preheated 400-degree oven and this is what emerged 30 minutes later.
Around the Web:
- Leek and Mushroom Quiche at Smitten Kitchen
- Crustless Mini Quiches at The Kitchn
- Crustless Quiche at Andrea Meyers
- Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche at Recipe Girl
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 ounces ham, cubed, about 1 cup
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese, about 1 cup
- Butter a 9- or 10-inch pie plate or quiche dish. Position oven rack to center position and preheat to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter and swirl to melt butter. Add leeks, and cook, stirring, for a couple minutes until softened. Add asparagus, and cook, stirring, for 5 - 8 minutes, or until just tender. Turn off heat. Add ham and toss together with asparagus. Scrape ham and asparagus mixture into the buttered quiche dish. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the ham, asparagus, and cheese. Place quiche in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until quiche is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe is adapted from The All Purpose Joy of Cooking
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 173mgSodium: 393mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
disclosure: The ham I used in this recipe was provided to me by The National Pork Board. I was not compensated in any other way and the recipe and views expressed in this post are my own.