Summer Fest is in full swing and this week we’re celebrating corn, one of summer’s sweetest pleasures. I have many fond memories of eating fresh corn on the cob in summer – sweet and salty and dripping with butter, it was always a welcome treat.
There’s even a special place in my heart for those funky plastic corn holders (shaped like corn cobs, of course) that my grandma would stick into the ends of the cob to keep our fingers clean and unburnt. I can still remember how they felt in my hands as I rolled the hot corn against a cold stick of butter until it was was coated with a thick, drippy layer and the stick of butter had molded itself into a shape more suitable for the task at hand.
And then there was the eating. My sister and I would race through the rows of kernels, typewriter sound effects in full effect, enjoying the messy act of eating as much if not more than the delightful flavor of the corn. Corn on the cob is still a delight, but it seems that I was much less annoyed by corn stuck in my teeth when I was a child. It drives me crazy now!
Well you don’t have to worry about corn sticking in your teeth when you cut it off the cob to make this delicious homemade creamed corn. It might not be quite as fun to eat, but the flavor will more than make up for it.
- Kettle Corn
- Grilled Corn, Mango, and Jicama Salad
- Carrot Potato Cheese Soup with Corn
- Black Beans and Corn with Green Chiles
Other Summer Fest Attendees Celebrating Corn:
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Vintage corn Americana slideshow, and no-frills creamed corn
- The FN Dish: Creamed Corn-Off: Battle of the Southern Cooks
- Alison at Food2: Freezing Corn
- Toby at Healthy Eats: Candied Corn and 4 other recipes
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Browsing Corn Porn
- Judy at Over a Tuscan Stove: Fried Polenta Crostini with Porcini Ragu
- Jennifer of Gilded Fork: Corn: Sweet Versatility (history, uses & recipes from cocktails to cornbread
- Chef Mark: Gettin’ Corny! (Musings from childhood, tips & fresh-corn recipes)
- Caron of San Diego Foodstuff: Chino Corn Risotto with Chanterelles and Burrata
- Caroline at The Wright Recipes: Pickled Corn with Summer Onion and Basil
- White on Rice Couple: BBQ Chicken and Corn Pizza
- Shauna at Gluten Free Girl and The Chef: a sweet corn risotto (and how to make corn stock with husks and mirepoix)
- Tigress in a Jam: Cream Corn Scones (the perfect way to use up left over roasted or boiled corn):
- Alana at Eating from the Ground Up: Corn on the Kabob (invented by her artist husband):
- Cate O’Malley at Sweetnicks: Corn and Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
- Kelly at Just a Taste: Caramel Corn (plus pics of corn in its various popping stages)
- Paige Orloff of The Sister Project: Life-Changing Corn Pancakes
- Tara at Tea and Cookies: Farro Corn Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs
- Food Network UK blog: Talking Corn