It might be summer, but I’m in the mood for comfort food. The theme of this week’s Summer Fest is peas, but when I started brainstorming ideas for a fresh and summery recipe involving peas, I kept coming back to comfort food.
It might have been the cloudy weather we had earlier in the week or it might have been the terrible, no good day I had yesterday, but when I thought of peas there were only two ways I wanted to eat them—in a tuna casserole or with turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. I opted for the casserole, which is serious comfort food for me.
The thing about tuna noodle casserole is that I have this idea in my head about what it should taste like, but when I actually make the casserole using my mom’s recipe, I’m always at least a little bit disappointed.
Yes, it tastes familiar and I’m instantly transported back to my childhood, but my grown-up taste buds realize that it’s really not that great. So I decided to remake this childhood classic to try to make it taste as good to me now as my mom’s casserole tasted to me when I was a kid.
I didn’t change much because I really do want it to be the same casserole. I just needed to get rid of that can of cream of mushroom soup and add a bit more flavor. I did this by sauteing some finely chopped onions, mushrooms, and celery in butter until the vegetables started to caramelize a bit and used that as a base for the sauce. I also threw in some thyme to add just a little extra boost.
The results were just what I wanted. It looks like my mom’s tuna noodle casserole, it smells like my mom’s tuna noodle casserole, and this one tastes just as good to me today as my mom’s casserole tasted then. This is a homemade tuna noodle casserole that should satisfy both kids and adults!
- My Mom’s Classic Tuna Casserole
- Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon, Leeks, and Thyme
- Beef Stroganoff with Whole Wheat Egg Noodles
More Pea Recipes from Around the Web:
- Grilled English Peas from Simply Recipes
- Linguine with Pea Pesto from Smitten Kitchen
- Green Pea Soup from 101 Cookbooks
Pea Recipes from my Summer Fest Friends:
- Dishin & Dishes: Smashed Pea Bruschetta with Mint
- Feed Me Phoebe: Sweet Pea and Green Onion Soup
- Taste With the Eyes: Peas and Pasta with a Garlicky Yogurt Sauce and Smoky Walnuts
- Weelicious: Peas and Pasta
- Devour: Quick Salad with Peas
- Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pasta with Spring Peas, Mushrooms and Greens
- Red or Green?: Szechuan Spring Peas, Asparagus, Pine Nuts and Brown Rice Salad
- Blue Apron Blog: Sweet Corn & Pea Fritters with Pea Tendril Salad
- Domesticate Me: Clean Out Fridge Frittata
- Virtually Homemade: Summer Lasagna with Skinny Alfredo Sauce
- The Sensitive Epicure: Pea Puree with Roasted Salmon and Chives
- Daily*Dishin: Marinated Spring Pea Salad
- The Heritage Cook: Pea, Potato and Bacon Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- FN Dish: Favorite Shelled Pea Sides