Besides grilled cheese, my favorite sandwich is a BLT. It’s been my favorite sandwich for as long as I can remember and I’m pretty sure it will always be my favorite sandwich. Bacon, lettuce and tomatoes…how can you ever go wrong with that combination?
I think the best BLT is made at home with thick slices of garden fresh tomatoes, thick slices of smoky bacon, and crisp leaves of iceberg lettuce piled high on toasted whole wheat bread that has been slathered with mayo. But judging by the photo and title of this post, I obviously changed things up a bit this time around! I won’t say that this sandwich is better than my traditional BLT, but it was definitely one of the best sandwiches I’ve had in quite some time.
I used homemade focaccia for this sandwich but I’m assuming that you can easily buy the bread at most grocery store bakeries now.
Bacon, Tomato and Blue Cheese on Focaccia
Focaccia, cut to sandwich size, sliced in half crosswise and toasted
Bacon, preferably thick sliced, cooked until crisp but not crunchy
Fresh baby spinach
Blue Cheese spread (recipe below)
Directions: Spread both sides of toasted focaccia with blue cheese. Layer spinach, tomatoes and bacon on one half of the bread. Top with the other half. Enjoy!
Blue Cheese Spread
1 oz. crumbled blue cheese
1 T. mayonnaise
1 T. sour cream
quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice
pinch of onion powder
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Directions: Mash the blue cheese with a fork and then stir in all ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin with Smoked Paprika Butter
- Orange Cranberry Salad with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
- Grilled Peaches with Blue Cheese and Honey
- Creamy Blue Cheese Dip with Lemon and Chives
Around the Web:
- Focaccia from Delicious Days
- Quick Rosemary Focaccia from Stephen Cooks
- Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich with Roasted Peppers and Basil from Stephen Cooks
- Arugula, Mozzarella and Tomato on Focaccia from Simply Recipes