I loved sloppy joes as a kid but I don’t know if my mom made the filling with a canned sauce, a sauce packet or from scratch. I tried the canned sloppy joe sauce once and it tasted terrible to me, so I knew I had to figure out a homemade sloppy joes recipe.
I tried making up recipes a couple of times with mild success, but they just didn’t taste quite right to me. I eventually gave up and didn’t think much about it for the last year or two.
Recently I’ve run across a couple of homemade sloppy joe recipes that made me want to try again. The first was at a food blog called Something So Clever (blog is no longer available). The photo is what made me start craving them again.
Then I saw another recipe in a Real Simple cookbook. I don’t own the book but was able to browse through it online and saw the sloppy joe recipe. My version is loosely based on the Real Simple version, but I added some ketchup and brown sugar to make a slightly sweet sloppy joe sauce.
I Hope you enjoy this homemade sloppy joe recipe as much as we did. It really hit the spot and took me right back to my childhood.
- Jason’s Ultimate Homemade Manwich Recipe
- Bacon, Tomato, and Blue Cheese Focaccia Sandwich
- Spinach and Feta Turnovers
- Classic Tuna Casserole
- Buttermilk Biscuits
Around the Web:
- Ultimate Sloppy Joes from Dinner Then Dessert
- One Pot Sloppy Joes from I Heart Naptime
- Vegan Sloppy Joes from Minimalist Baker
- Best Ever Homemade Sloppy Joes from CopyKat Recipes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- Saute onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add all other ingredients to the ground beef mixture and cook, stirring, over low heat for a few minutes until thickened. Add more water if it gets too thick.
- Serve in hamburger buns and make a mess!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 813mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 32g